As far as your plumbing is concerned, the sewer is one of the primary priorities due to the impact it has on your home’s sanitation. Professionals should be immediately summoned to your location even when you experience minor leaks in the sewer line, and it should never be put off. You are likely going to be faced with toilets and sinks that frequently get clogged, or the landscaping springing unusually leaks should you ignore or overlook the sewer’s cry for attention. Simply by getting your sewer issues resolved quickly you can easily avoid catastrophic messes, high repair costs, and/or additional damage. With this in mind, we at D’Amorie Construction would like to elaborate on the red flags that are commonly indicative to the sewer needing professional assistance.
Signs of Failing Sewer System
Below are the most common signs observed, though there are quite a few signs that develop when the sewer is malfunctioning.
1) Clogging at the same time in multiple lines: There is room for concern when you notice sinks, toilets, and showers are all clogging at once. When the plunger is not enough, the circumstances can be stressful. However, when this phenomenon occurs, there is a serious problem with the sewer system, and you should contact a professional promptly. The solution will likely be to have a sewer drain cleaning service to eliminate the clogs.
2) Toilet water levels that are inconsistent: The toilets protest, creating the water levels in your toilet fluctuate, indicating the underlying issue is in the sewers. If the sewers are experiencing a massive sewer line clog, and to boost the sewer line’s operating full efficiency, the professionals are equipped with the expertise and necessary equipment to remove the obstruction.
3) An increase in pests: Attracted to sewers are the mice, rodents, roaches, and other pests. Should there be a problem, such as a line that cracks or breaks, the nasty little critters are looking for somewhere to go, which is often the inside of your home. An indication that the sewer lines are damaged is noticing an increase in the insects and vermin scampering through your home. Especially if there is no other explanation, you should call in a professional plumber to evaluate the sewer system and make any necessary repairs.
4) Water pooling on lawn: A most disturbing and unsanitary sign, is the wet spots on your landscape that appear seemingly without cause. Before it gets out of hand and the repair cost rises excessively, call your plumber when you first notice this red flag for rapid assistance.
5) Old sewer pipe materials: Like most things, there is a lifespan that the sewer system has. If your sewer system is over 40 years old, an inspection from a professional is strongly encouraged and recommended. The certified expert can detect any problems that might be developing after a comprehensive inspection that keeps the repairs to a minimal. You may consider investing in a replacement should the repairs become extreme and expensive.